Sunday, March 15, 2009

Just a Regular Guy From West High

Anyone who is anyone knows that Larry H. Miller (LHM) was anything but a regular guy from West High School; more like an extraordinary philanthropist, car dealer, entrepreneur and the Utah Jazz owner.

All of us have something to learn from the incredible story that is LHM. A poor high school student and college dropout, LHM started his career as a stock boy in an auto parts store and through his work ethic and business savvy, became quite possibly the single most influential business person in Utah history.

Taking calculated risks were one of LHM’s most prominent attributes. To help us better understand his persuasiveness and business acumen, here is a piece from the Deseret News tribute to LHM: He enjoyed putting together creative deals to finance his businesses, and, as his purchase of the Jazz demonstrated, he was masterful at it. He lamented later in his life that his business transactions weren't nearly as fun anymore because his reputation and bank account made them so easy and straightforward. When trying to put together 11th-hour financing for his first purchase of half of the Jazz franchise, he crashed a meeting of bankers and told them, "Fellas, I don't want to run your meeting, but I'm going to tell you something. I got my first telephone in my name when I was 12 years old because I was on the phone all the time. My parents had to sign for it, but I had to pay the bill. Since that time, I've been paying bills, and I've never missed a payment on anything in my life. If you can find a delinquent payment, turn me down. If you can't, make this loan."

A simple blog post could in no way do justice the lasting impact of LHM – with that in mind, I thought a photo montage would tribute different moments in LHM’s life. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show….

High Life

1 comment:

  1. You're an excellent eugogolizer my friend. Poor some out for out Larry on St. Patty's gentlemen. It's the least we could do.

    -Nitro

    ReplyDelete